Coffee Grounds

Laka2020 127 DesignAuthors’ description:
COFFEE GROUNDS, What do you want to be?

React? To environmental problems, we try to use discarded coffee grounds as building materials. Then, why coffee grounds? Only 0.2 percent of coffee beans are used to extract coffee and the remaining 99.8 percent are discarded. There is a growing demand for coffee worldwide, and the amount of discarded coffee grounds is also increasing. There is 14 grams of coffee grounds per cup of coffee, and more than 20,000 tons of landfill on Earth per day.

To utilize the coffee grounds, we first conducted a study to explore the properties of the coffee powder. There was a case of adding food additives to coffee powder and using it as clay. Based on the fact that it is used as a material such as soil, we also studied construction using soil. Through the study, we learned about the sort and ratio of the combined materials and the overall form of construction. In another case, coffee, salt, sawdust, rubber, and plastic were ground and printed with Powder Bed and Incjet Head 3D Printing (PBP). In the case, Adding sugar powder and maltodextrin to the powdered material and spraying alcohol on it, So a free form was created.

Based on the study, the possibility as building material was tested by adding water and alcohol while mixing plaster, lime, straw and maltodextrin with different proportions, respectively, with coffee grounds. As a result of the experiment, the most likely combination was the mixture of coffee grounds, plaster and maltodexstrin, then mixing water and alcohol. The selected material combinations were tested for constructability by controlling the amount of water and alcohol.

To make a whole building space using the selected materials, Materials can be molded and hardened, such as concrete, or printed in PBP method. To efficiently fill the entire space, we chose to create one type mold over and over again. The module extends in three directions, X, Y, and Z, and extends into the entire space.

Leave a Reply